[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:18:58 UTC 2009

2009/2/20 Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net>:
> geni wrote:
>> 2009/2/20 Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net>:
>>> * The responsibility for decisions of this magnitude lays with the
>>> board. WMF is a non-membership association. Don't even try to evade that
>>> responsibility by delegating it to the "community". Accept the
>>> responsibility and act accordingly.
>>
>> The board is not at this point that significantly involved.
>
> But it should be. This decision must be taken on the board level. No one
> else has a mandate for it.

The final decision will be taken by the board, but board are there to
serve the community so they are asking the community what we think
first. If the board annoys the community too much, the projects will
simply cease to exist, so they aren't really in overall charge of
much. The legalities and the practicalities are very much at odds with
each other.