[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:21:49 UTC 2009

2009/2/20 Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net>:
> * Ditch the dual licensing. I don't understand it. I am trained as a
> lawyer to understand about licenses and I have not the slightest idea
> how the dual licensing is supposed to work. No one I talked to -
> layperson or professional - understood about it. Make a hard switch, as
> GFDL 1.3 allows. If RMS doesn't like it, too bad.

It's fairly straightforward if somewhat foolish. It means that any
content created on wikipedia and not derived from CC-BY-SA can be used
by reuses under either CC-BY-SA or the GFDL.

> * Abandon the planned vote, don't ask the community. The issue is too
> complicated to hand out proper information to the laypersons in the
> community. Consequently we should not be bothered. Doing otherwise would
> in the best outcome be dishonest, because we have to decide blindly, or
> it could result in a disaster. And public vote on issues always means
> that in the end no one have to take responsibility for it.

Your problem here is that Erik isn't a lawyer either. If the situation
was entirely being handled by Mike Godwin then you would have a case
but it isn't.

> * The responsibility for decisions of this magnitude lays with the
> board. WMF is a non-membership association. Don't even try to evade that
> responsibility by delegating it to the "community". Accept the
> responsibility and act accordingly.

The board is not at this point that significantly involved.

--
geni