[Foundation-l] status of the licensing update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:04:51 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> Without disagreeing on the importance of attribution standards
> per se, it is clearly inaccurate to say that they signify how we
> interpret the license. Contributors can be asked to waive
> rights to content they add to the site (where they are the
> sole originators of the material, and not merely importing
> content that has already been published elsewhere) even
> above and beyond the terms of the specific license, and equally
> they can be asked to not pursue some rights specified in the
> license, where such contractual stipulations are legal. Not that
> it is clear how enforceable such stipulations or waivers
> would be, if reusers asserted a different understanding
> of the license and/or the IP laws of their specific jurisdiction.

But sometimes people will be important content that has already been
published elsewhere. At best, we're going to have people having to go
through the edit history line by line if they want to use content
under GFDL, if we add in addition terms of use people will have to go
through line by line if they want to do anything using them too. It's
really not an option.