[Foundation-l] Report to the Board of Trustees: Davos

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 17 18:39:23 UTC 2009

Report to the Board: Davos
Prepared by: Sue Gardner, Executive Director
Prepared for: Wikimedia Board of Trustees
Date: February 3, 2009

Background & Context

Every year, Jimmy is invited to Davos in his individual capacity as a
Young Global Leader, and the Wikimedia Foundation receives one
invitation to participate in the category of Technology Pioneer.  Last
year, Florence represented us: this year, Michael delegated
participation to me so that I could explore Davos from a fundraising
perspective.  As always, Jimmy paid his own costs, and the Foundation
paid mine.

The main goals of the trip were to 1) present a funding proposal to a
potential funder we've been speaking with, 2) increase awareness of
Wikipedia as a charity among attendees (e.g., media, prospective
donors, NGOs, etc.), and 3) actively move forward relationships with a
few key major donor prospects.  I was also able to meet briefly with
some of the board members of the Swiss chapter, in Zurich.

Summary