[Foundation-l] A kind of organisation for transnational Wikipedias

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Fri Feb 13 14:13:22 UTC 2009

Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are some language versions of Wikipedia who have no relation to a
> chapter or cannot create a chapter, or where a chapter would not be
> suitable. Examples:
> - nation-less languages such as Latin, Esperanto
> - diaspora languages or Wikipedia communities, such as Kurdish, Swahili
>
> Sometimes it would be useful to have a kind of organisation for these
> language editions, not chapters, but something else, for PR purposes,
> contacts with language institutions etc.
>
> Kind regard
> Ziko

Hello Ziko,

I am very sympathetic with your idea. In principle the WMF welcome any
form of community organizations that would help us to promote our
mission and our ideals. These organizations must not be officially
recognized as chapters, but we still consider them as a very important
part of the whole project. I think that this is not only my personal
oppinion  but the oppinion of the foundation and of the board.

So, this said. I would say, go ahead and create such organizations. Even
though these organization are no chapters, they would still get support
from the foundation if the foundation can afford it and consider the
actions of the organization is in line with our mission.

Ting