[Foundation-l] Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:07:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> I am afraid you do not appreciate the importance of localisation. Yes, there
> are thousands of messages and it is possible to have them all translated.
> Tagalog is proof that a full localisation is possible. It was done in a
> relatively short period of time and I am convinced that the Tagalog
> Wikipedia will benefit as a consequence.
>
> When "Crazy Lover" asks people to help with the localisation of Spanish, I
> sympathise with his request. It is important that people help. I do not
> understand the lack of awareness of why localisation is important. I truly
> hope that many people will respond to CML's request because it will add an
> important part to the Spanish language projects; the ability for people who
> do not speak English to understand what is being asked of them in the User
> Interface. The UI does not only consist of the core messages.
> Thanks,
>       Gerard

The point is that many of the missing ones are not even used on
wikimedia, so their priority sinks for the userbase.
Urging a translation saying it will benefit wikipedia doesn't seem to
follow logically (blahtex? are we replacing the latex engine? asksql?
, etc.)

Currently
100% of core messages, 99.96 of mediawiki messages and   88.4% of
anything wikimedia uses is already translated that's a fair share and
a huge number of translations, and it's certainly much much more than
58%. The rest is extensions that will never be used on wikimedia or
aren't yet available.

So I understand importance of translation, but I don't see the how
misrepresenting the numbers does any good.