[Foundation-l] Steward elections: summary, week one

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:23:11 UTC 2009

2009/2/9 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>:
> If I understand it right, Wikimedia or other stewards can trace what a
> single steward is doing. Even if a dictatorship forces a local steward to do
> something, there is the danger that this becomes public.

The "real danger" is that stewards have access to global checkuser, so
they can theoretically be used to trace users when forced by secret
police of an non-democratic country.  However, various special forces
and secret services of democratic countries also use to force their
citizens (and other countries citizens as well) to reveal various
information, so we can use this argument against almost any country.
Maybe global checkuser function should be given to Wikimedia Office?
(Like Wikimedia Office actions function?)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/