[Foundation-l] A Civil Wiki (was: Increased incivility at wikinews [en]

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:33:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>wrote:

> [snip]
> With that in mind, I am proposing the following:
>
> A guideline (or "rule" if you want) stating, Do not make any statement in a
> discussion that does not contribute constructively towards the advancement
> of that discussion. And that, any statement found in a discussion by
> another
> reader of that discussion that does not contribute constructively towards
> the advancement of that discussion be challenged immediately, openly and
> directly.
>
> This will take time, patience, and probably involve a bit of controversy.
> But with this very clear, direct approach a culture will be created. A
> culture of fairness and civility that will be the signature culture of the
> Wikipedia Project.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Marc Riddell

It will never work. What's constructive? Who decides what's constructive?
Is calling someone a troll constructive? What if they really are trolling?
Is it constructive when I repeat a point I've already made? What if you just
disagree with me, could you then challenge my points as being non-
constructive since they aren't right?

Such a system requires common sense. We wouldn't be in this mess if
people had common sense to begin with.

-Chad