[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikinews-l] Increased incivility at wikinews [en] <warning: contains rant>

Jesse (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:44:11 UTC 2009

George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Civility, or more properly abusive editors, is not a petty problem.  If I
> had Jimbo's God-Emperor powers several existing WP users would be walked out
> the door and invited to not come back, on the grounds that they are
> persistently abusive and disruptive to other users.  Even being a long time
> positive contributor cannot overcome the damage done to the community and
> other editors in particular when one problem abusive user persists.  The
> damage is both severe in the acute sense and insidious in the long term
> community values sense.

I disagree that divine intervention is a solution, but I agree with
the principle that a productive editor who cannot collaborate is not a
productive editor. Perhaps you and others can take a look at <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Collaboration_first >, and put
together a convincing essay to that effect. Convincing the silent
majority to take a cohesive stance against such behaviour is one
possible solution.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)