[Foundation-l] Attribution made cleaner?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:13:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Also, has it been discussed that the minimum number of authors rule
> effectually only applies to stubs and some starts? Even these have often
> been edited by many more than a handful of bots.
>
> It would be useful to have an SQL query that output the number of articles
> on en.wp with more than a handful of articles. It's probably fairly small.
>
> So the effectual rule is that attribution is done by a hyperlink.

I can't speak for enwiki, but I did a similar thing for ruwiki (WMF's
10th largest wiki), and a very substantial fraction of articles had 5
or fewer editors.  If one condenses IP editors to something like " and
3 anonymous editors" (as some people have suggested) rather than
listing each IP, then the number of articles with 5 or fewer editors
is roughly half of all articles.

Of course there is also a significant fraction of articles with dozens
of editors, which probably includes most of the well-developed and
easily reusable content.

Enwiki, with its larger articles and higher number of edits per
articles, probably has a lower percentage of articles that would fall
under the 5 or fewer rule, but I don't think it would be trivial.

-Robert Rohde