[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon Feb 2 00:58:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not that that helps us much, since it is clear
> we are at the cusp of _creating_ the standards for what will
> be "customary" for attribution in such quite novel enterprises
> as Wikipedia.

Exactly. There is nothing 'customary' about massively collaborative
development of works. We can lead the way here by opening the work as
much as possible (or should I say, reasonable) for others to reuse
rather than locking it up with arduous yet largely useless
requirements (and in doing so creating an opportunity for someone else
to build 'The Free[er] Encyclopedia').

Sam