[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:46:40 UTC 2009

2009/12/17 Philippe Beaudette <pbeaudette at wikimedia.org>:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Bod Notbod wrote:
>
>>  Craigslist is certainly well known. But entirely
>> unused.
>

> That's fascinating, actually - anthropologically, I'm intrigued at a
> site that's a household name in that demographic while being unused.
> Globalization adds interesting twists to all of this, doesn't it?

I agree with Bod - most people I know will have heard of Craigslist,
but I don't know anyone that has used it. We know about it because it
is mentioned quite often on TV imported from the US. However, despite
everyone having heard of Craigslist, it seems Britons aren't inspired
to donate by its founder telling them to. While the Craig Appeal
banner was being shown 20% of the time, Wikimedia UK saw a 20% drop in
fundraising income compared to the WMF (I look at the ratios of our
income to the WMF's, which usually cancels out any changes due to the
different banners). There is plenty of variation day to day, but 20%
is a bigger change that is usual.