[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:15:51 UTC 2009

Overly simplifying, indeed. How did you arrive at the $40 estimate? Are you
trying to convert the 15K pageviews in 1 day into a dollar value?

Do you think that when people see advertisements on TV, they all immediately
flock to websites to look up the product? No, of course not, only a minority
of them will, but the web traffic isn't what the advertisers are paying for.
It is the message, they are paying to get their name out there in a certain
context.

This is great publicity for Craigslist and it would be silly to measure the
impact by the number of pageviews for our own page on Craigslist. I think
the point Geni was trying to make is that it has indeed raised some interest
in Craigslist, rather than just helping WMF.

Mark