[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:38:13 UTC 2009

Key phrase for me in this e-mail was "CraigsList itself is a for-profit",
despite the fact that it was hidden in a parenthetical remark after lots of
glowing praise... The "Craigslist Foundation" is not Craigslist.

According to the Wikipedia article on Craigslist:

"The company does not formally disclose financial or ownership information.
Analysts and commentators have reported varying figures for its annual
revenue, ranging from $10 million in 2004, $20 million in 2005, and $25
million in 2006 to possibly $150 million in 2007"

"It is believed to be owned principally by Newmark, Buckmaster, and eBay
(the three board members). eBay owns approximately 25%, and Newmark is
believed to own the largest stake."

We put the name of a for-profit organization flashing across the top of the
site... What you said: "In spite of huge web traffic, Craigslist is run with
a staff of 32 and carries no ads, and Craig founded a non-profit
organization, the Craigslist Foundation, to support other non-profits."
seems like it is intended to distract the reader from the truth, which is
that Craigslist is for profit and owned partly by corporations like eBay.

Mark

skype: node.ue