[Foundation-l] Wikimedia and Environment

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:26:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about moving the servers (5) from Florida to a cold country
> (Alaska, Canada, Finland, Russia) so that they can be used to heat
> offices or homes ? It might not be unrealistic as one may read such
> things as "the solution was to provide nearby homes with our waste
> heat" (6).

Or Switzerland not only because it's a cold country but in Switzerland
it's already in place the idea to use "green energy" with a small
additional cost.

In this case the power supplier assure that this energy is produced
with zero CO2 emission (i.e. hydroelectric energy).

In my case (I am IT manager) I have provided my data center with a
system of air conditioned with "free cooling", in this case when the
external temperature is lower than 17 °C, the system of air
conditioned is supplied with external air without consumption of
energy.

I have the energy costs reduced of 40% (my location in Switzerland has
less than 17 °C at least for 50% of total days because the nights in
Switzerland are cool). It could be 50% but I reuse the 10% to have
"green energy".

In any case the total amount is more than 50% of savings because the
hot air is addressed in the offices (only during the Winter and
Autumn) and the maintenance of system of air conditioned is
drastically reduced with less problem of damage.

At start it's a big cost to have a system of free coling, but after
two or three years it's already refunded with the saved money.

Ilario