[Foundation-l] open wikis for chapters....?

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sat Dec 12 10:26:38 UTC 2009

My viewpoint is: why restrict editing? As Geoffrey and Peachey
mentioned, there are some pages that do need protecting, but other
than that? A central part of the Wikimedia zeitgeist for me is that
anyone can edit.

If you restrict editing, then you're removing the ability for non-
members to give their opinions and help out. They _might_ become
members so that they can edit, but odds are that won't be the primary
driver for them joining. Then there are people that can't join for
whatever reason (in another country [if your bylaws restrict that],
no money, ...).

The Wikimedia UK wiki (http://uk.wikimedia.org/) is open for everyone
to edit - even anonymous editors (who can even create pages - so
we're more open than Wikipedia. ;-) ). There are pages that are
necessarily locked down, but the talk pages are always open. That's
worked out well for us so far. There's a little bit of vandalism, but
it's been kept in check by board members and some trusted members
that are also admins.

BTW, I've never liked that the WMF's wiki is completely locked down.
It feels a bit like a cabal. ;-)

Mike