[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trademark

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:45:23 UTC 2009

In the following news article, it is said that Google showed French
journalists in Paris a webpage with search results including Wikipedia
in its presentation of its new "Goggles" search engine.

I think the WMF lawyers should have a closer look at that and see if
WMF is not entitled to a compensation for letting Google use the
Wikipedia trademark as a sales argument. I think using the Wikipedia
name within a for-profit endeavour distorts the image of Wikipedia as
a non-profit charity. Should Wikipedia be associated to a service
restricted to the happy few who buy it ? Wikipedia should remain
something for everybody to enjoy, not necessarily more associated to
one operating system than another. It should not necessarily be
associated with the organised obsolescence of older computers, and
remain critical vis-à -vis the fascination for the new.

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-technologie-internet/2009-12-09/recherche-sur-google-n-ecrivez-plus-photographiez/1387/0/403115