[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Dec 2 02:22:44 UTC 2009

George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The "hand in hand with children" wording seems to conflate physical
>> space with cyberspace.  Please see my relevant reply to George William
>> Herbert.

> There's a known and ancedotally (but not known to be statistically)
> significant trend of pedophiles attracting victims online.

> Also, apparently, of them coordinating amongst themselves to pass tips
> about possible victims in specific areas.

Still, pedophiliac "preying" (whether on- or offline, not to
speak of the coordination thereof) seems marginal at best
compared to traditional run-of-the-mill child abuse which
involves non-pedophiliac adults often related to the victim
looking for substitute sex "partners". Should those other
potential perpetrators be banned as well? "Do we care for
their victims as much?"

  And if we assume that it is the parents' duty to supervise
their children's access to Wikipedia as content not suitable
for them may be displayed, how could there be any danger to
them?

  It would have been so much nicer if there had been a dif-
ferent reason to ban this user.

Tim