[Foundation-l] Projekt: OpenCritics (let's free subjective content, too!!)

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:46:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Georg von
Zimmermann<g.v.zimmermann at evelope.de> wrote:

>In the realm of user reviews and ratings we have
> pretty much forfeited to closed systems like Amazon or Ciao.
>
> That's why we created OpenCritics.com. The idea of OpenCritics is to
> develop an open platform for freely licensed reviews.

I think this is an excellent, long overdue idea and something
Wikimedia should be interested in.  I was actually thinking of
proposing something like this at strategy.wikimedia.org (and may still
do so).

> Our office, the development and my computer are financed by a private
> limited company. Eventually, I  would be pleased if our company could
> move into the direction of a non-profit organization and funding
> through donations.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be pleased to see a project
like this become part of Wikimedia.  We've never really absorbed other
communities under the Wikimedia umbrella before (like Wikia has), but
at this point Wikipedia has earned enough goodwill also support lesser
known worthy projects.

-Sage Ross