[Foundation-l] Frequency of Seeing Bad Versions - now with traffic data

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Aug 28 19:44:38 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:

> Umm...you would count the number of instances of vandalism?
>
> Is the question how to objectively *define* "vandalism"?

On one hand, we have a perception, as expressed by media (and by
CEO Sue Gardner, I believe), that vandalism (especially of
biographies of living people, BLP) is an increasing problem.  On
the other hand, we have the habit of always asking for proofs and
measurements: Citation needed!

We can try to find out which edits are reverts, assuming that the
previous edit was an act of vandalism.  That way we can conclude
which articles were vandalized and how long it took to revert
them.  Add to that: How many readers viewed the vandalized
version?  Vandalism is harmless if nobody watches it. It is mostly
harmless if it is obvious and childish (e.g. Barack Obama was born
on Mars, he's a space alien).  When it does harm (and becomes a
problem, allegedly an increasing problem) is when it is viewed and
taken for the truth (e.g. a statement that Barack Obama was not
born in the U.S. and thus would not be a legitimate president).

Especially, it becomes a very real problem if the biographed
living person takes offense and takes legal action against the
WMF.  Now, that's very easy to measure: How much money did WMF
need to spend, month by month, to resolve such conflicts,
including time to explain the process to media?  That is money
that could be used to buy servers instead.  A more efficient BLP
policy might render the WMF more money for servers. Very real.
Now, we only need to insert real numbers into this equation.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)