[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Fri Aug 28 19:06:41 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> The WMF as a membership organisation would be great, but I don't think
> it is practical. A better option (which I have discussed with a few
> poeple) would be having the chapters as members of the WMF and the
> community as members of the chapters. There are other global
> non-profits that work along those lines. (The International Federation
> of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, for example.)

Why? What's broken at the moment? The servers are running,
and I really cannot see how a different form of organization
would have any favourable impact on a few million people
writing the best free encyclopedia (*1) in this solar sys-
tem. Not to speak of this thing with the sum of all know-
ledge being shared by every single human being.

  If for each message sent in this thread, one article was
checked for vandalism according to Anthony's proposal, he
could present some results in a few days. If one article was
checked each time a message in this thread is read somewhere
around the globe, he'd be done in a few minutes.

Tim

(*1)   ... and dictionary and books and media repository
       and ...