[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 15:10:53 UTC 2009

Ting Chen wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> one year ago when I run for the board election I came with the same
> proposal as you. Meanwhile I have changed my oppinion. The problem is
> that this would not work out.
>
> I totally agree with you that voting is the minor part of the board
> decision making process. Actually in many cases it is only for the
> protocol and formality. The really big part is before voting, while
> discussion. Here you are totally right.
>
> There are a lot of differences between a board member and an advisory
> board member. The most important difference is the dedication. As a
> board member you MUST attend board meeting, you MUST take part in
> discussion. As an advisory board member you are not obliged to do that.
> Naturally, if we have an issue and we feel lack of expertise, or simply
> because we want to get more input from more sources, we go out and ask
> members of the advisory board. This is for example why some of our
> committees has advisory board member in it. This is also why the
> advisory board would play a crucial role in the strategic planning. But
> it is totally different between that expertise is already inside of the
> board or if the expertise must at first be asked from outside of the
> board. The best examples you can see are Stu West and Jan-Bard de
> Vreede. Stu with his technical and financial expertise is simply there,
> in every meeting, in the board mailing list, we don't have to go out and
> ask someone from the outside, especially because these expertise are
> really direly needed in every meeting and most of our topics. The same
> is it with the organizational expertise that Jan-Bard brings into the
> board both in how an ordinary procedure should look like as well as how
> discipline must be excercised in the board. This is the reason why they
> are asked to be on the board again and again and why they hold so
> important offices in the board. Indeed, my experience with both of them
> is why I have changed my opinion. I don't know Matt that long yet, just
> met him in one board meeting. But I do feel that in this one meeting he
> gave very interesting and important insights. For example how
> measurement of success should look like. There are also other reasons
> why we need expert seats. One is that sometimes you are in a discussion
> and stumbles over something where you didn't see the need of an expert
> before but where you feel really thankful to have one in the board.
> Naturally you can say, hey, we need here an expertise, let us at first
> ask someone in the advisory board and then make a decision. This
> actually happend in the past year more than once. But this is a slow
> process, you would go out and e-mail that person, she or he would
> answer, there would maybe more questions that you would ask again, or
> the board must first discuss internally and then ask again. This is
> totally different as if you have already that expertise in the meeting
> [...]

Incidently, in the context of the strategic planning process, I talked
this morning with Laura and Barry from the Bridgespan Group, as well as
with Eugene yesterday.

 From what I understood, the Bridgespan Group is trying to interview all
advisory board members to collect information and feedback for the work
started on the strategic wiki (http://strategy.wikimedia.org).

I think that is an excellent way to make use of the Advisory Board
member and I thank them for our implication in that process.

Ant