[Foundation-l] Expert board members - a suggestion

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Fri Aug 28 01:55:19 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> That's only because we don't specify such an obligation. There is
> nothing stopping us having such an obligation included in the rules
> for the advisory board.

Yes there are. See my answer to Antony about dedication.

> Brion and Véronique have that expertise and could easily be brought in
> to whatever meetings they are needed for.
>
> Sue seems to be pretty good at that kind of thing.

Naturally are staff expertise very important for the board, but they
cannot substitute board expertise. The board must have expertise of its
own to supervise the staff. Replace the role that Jan-Bart is taking on
the board with Sue would be a good example of bad governance.

--
Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/