[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Aug 27 17:09:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/8/27 Joshua Gay <joshuagay at gmail.com>:
> > When Matt Halprin is on the board of Wikimedia, he is doing his job for
> > Omidyar Network. So, when we read, a statement like:
>
> I'm not familiar with the relevant US law, but in the UK that would be
> illegal. A trustee has a legal obligation to do what they think is
> best for the charity, not anyone else. I would be surprised if that
> wasn't the case in the [US].

I'm not 100% sure about the law in the US, but under the WMF bylaws: "The
Board and its Trustees are understood to act as fiduciaries with regard to
the Foundation, and their duties include, but are not limited to, the
fiduciary duty of care and the fiduciary duty of loyalty."

I'm not convinced Halprin is even employed by the Omidyar Network.
 According to the website, he is a partner.  Partners aren't employees.