[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Aug 27 12:15:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Joshua Gay <joshuagay at gmail.com> wrote:

> When Matt Halprin is on the board of Wikimedia, he is doing his job for
> Omidyar Network.

That's quite an accusation.  WMF board members aren't supposed to be paid.
 If they're paid by a third party, is that okay?

> So, yes, I think ON has bought a seat on the board, and I even think that
> it
> is likely that Matt personally orchestrated that it.

Even that is problematic, though more from the point of view of the ON and
not the WMF.  If the ON, through its 501(c)(3), bought a seat for $2 million
and gave it to Matt Halprin, who is free to act in his individual capacity,
isn't the 501(c)(3) in essence giving Halprin $2 million?

These are interesting questions, but ultimately, not our problem.  The WMF
and the ON are not community-run foundations.  We have no legal right to
demand answers.