[Foundation-l] Why can't we have $12.5 million for Wikispecies?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Thu Aug 27 01:48:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Nemo_bis <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> See
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2009/aug/21/encyclopedia-life-species
> Where's the problem with Wikispecies?
> Moreover, EOL received 33.000 images from individual contributors
> (http://www.flickr.com/groups/encyclopedia_of_life), Wikispecies didn't.
> So, why is EOL succeeding, and Wikispecies seemingly doesn't?
> Is it useful to have two overlapping projects like these?
>
> Nemo

Encyclopedia of life has a much larger vision that WikiSpecies. They
envision a day when autonomous robots scour the earth, collecting and
documenting specimens, including full genome scans, for all creatures that
remain, uploading the data to the encyclopedia automatically. And they plan
to be part of making that happen. Having such an inspiring vision guiding
your project is essential for success over competing projects. Additionally,
EOL has entered the public consciousness, its most recent jumpstart being a
Ted wish.  That wish means that some of the worlds leading thinkers are
aware of EOL, and some of the worlds biggest funders as well.