[Foundation-l] Why can't we have $12.5 million for Wikispecies?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 01:35:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM, John Vandenberg<jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> And yet ... this is what every successful wiki does.  Wikipedia is
> extremely structured.  The writers are not always expected to know the
> structure; gnomes do the tidying up.

You must have an enormously different idea of extremely structured
than I do. I once created software to extract lat/long from Wikitext
on enwp and gave up when I got to the 100th or so distinct template
invocation which did almost but not quite exactly the same thing.

Go search the archives for some of my example bat-shit category linkage maps.

It's extremely structures compared to complete anarchy, or perhaps
"extremely structured" compared to the human body. It's not structured
compared to normal sources of data. Not at all.