[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 20:07:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Casey Brown<lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that fits the definition of "sell", others
>> may disagree but it is semantics and is unimportant.
>
> Is it unimportant?  We're discussing how this action is perceived as
> having bought a seat, so I'd say that that semantics and
> interpretations definitely are important here.

Is any of it?

It doesn't appear that anyone outside of troll-l^wfoundation-l cares.
Even over at Wikipedia review the response has been more along the
lines of "Wow, they suckered Omidyar!".

Much of the discussion here seems to be a concern that someone
platonic community member will be outraged, not that the participants
themselves are more than mildly disappointed.  When ENWP changes their
site notice to direct readers to a wikinews smear piece about the
board selling a seat— then we can worry.  Until then, this seems like
a lot of pointless lip-flapping.

Cheers.