[Foundation-l] Why can't we have $12.5 million for Wikispecies?

Nemo_bis nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:23:04 UTC 2009

John Vandenberg, 26/08/2009 12:07:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Steven Walling<steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Very good question. I'd say two major factors:
>> 1. Support from scientists. Founded by one of the best-known scientists
>> alive, the EOL automatically gained support from the biological sciences in
>> academia. Support from the scientific/academic community is the only reason
>> their largely single-author system has flourished in my opinion.
>
> Why cant we have this?

I think that at this point we can't hope to do better than EOL, so «If
you can't beat them join them»: we should evaluate if and how much
Wikispecies (and Commons, which has great pictures of many species) can
contribute to EOL content (the main problem here can be that they're
mainly CC-BY while we are CC-BY-SA, but their licenses are very flexible
– even too much, indeed).
Wikispecies could benefit of a "jump on the bandwagon" effect.

Nemo