[Foundation-l] Why can't we have $12.5 million for Wikispecies?

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Wed Aug 26 09:25:54 UTC 2009

I would really like WikiSpecies to improve their visibility in the
community. Sadly enough, the interwiki-links from Wikispecies to other
projects are already insufficient. Given that we have all those
tax-box-templates I always think that it should be an easy task to write
bots to make links between the projects. I would also like to see folks
from WikiSpecies to present their projects on SignPost and Wikimania.

Ting

Steven Walling wrote:
> Very good question. I'd say two major factors:
> 1. Support from scientists. Founded by one of the best-known scientists
> alive, the EOL automatically gained support from the biological sciences in
> academia. Support from the scientific/academic community is the only reason
> their largely single-author system has flourished in my opinion.
>
> 2. They have way more photos because they accept non-commercial licenses.
> That alone garners way more possible submissions, since the vast majority of
> CC work on Flickr is doesn't allow commercial use. (At least that's the way
> it was the last time I looked at a breakdown.)
>
> Steven Walling
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Nemo_bis <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> See
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2009/aug/21/encyclopedia-life-species
>> Where's the problem with Wikispecies?
>> Moreover, EOL received 33.000 images from individual contributors
>> (http://www.flickr.com/groups/encyclopedia_of_life), Wikispecies didn't.
>> So, why is EOL succeeding, and Wikispecies seemingly doesn't?
>> Is it useful to have two overlapping projects like these?
>>
>> Nemo

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/