[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Tue Aug 25 22:20:14 UTC 2009

Sorry to top-post (Blackberry).

Yes, the progress towards the goals will be published to the
community.  Omidyar wants to support us in doing our work, so we
worked together to define what success will look like (as per the Q
and A). Those were very good conversations, in which they essentially
agreed with us on what's important -- overall global reach, overall
global participation, the importance of a broad base of donors
supporting our work, and the successful completion of the strategy
project. That is all good: it's stuff we care about, and would track
and report on anyway. It's a completely unrestricted grant, supporting
our own goals and priorities.

My apologies for the way this information reached you all. (I'm not
criticizing Greg: forwarding the press release was the obvious and
right thing for him to do.)  I'm just sorry that the detailed
information didn't reach foundation-l from the Wikimedia Foundation
itself, first.  Suffice to say that connectivity at both the venue and
hotel has been super-patchy today, and was unexpectedly down all
afternoon :-(

Thanks,
Sue