[Foundation-l] Closure of projects

Robin P. robinp.1273 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:50:21 UTC 2009

2009/8/24 Andrew Turvey <andrewrturvey op googlemail.com>

> First, if the conclusion is that no procedure exists, a notice should be
> put on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projectsstating this so that peoples' expectations are appropriately managed.

Good idea, I added a note on the top of the page "Apart from the common
practices below, there is no official policy on closing projects".

Second, is that correct? Looking at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Closure_of_Herero_Wikipediait seems that there certainly was a procedure in the past where articles
> were shifted back into the Incubator.

There is no procedure in the sense of how to reach a consensus to close the
wiki.
Moving pages to Incubator is what comes *after* the wiki is closed, to give
a future community the chance to build a new wiki at the Incubator. Imagine
if you work on a small project knowing that if the project is closed, all
your work is gone (until the wiki is opened again - which has never happened
before afaik).

Most importantly, should there be a procedure? Keeping projects open is a
> drain on resources, such as removing vandalism. There is a level of activity
> below which the positive benefits of the project are outweighed by the
> drain, although it's clearly not worth closing a project if the effort to do
> this is not a worthwhile investment.

When looking at the recent changes and logs of several wikis proposed to be
closed, the amount of vandalism in the past year was very low.
I guess vandalism on big projects requires much more work than all those
small wikis together.

Overall, I agree with Gerard.

What I don't like is that proposals stay open for years without even being
closed as "inactive proposal for closure" (ironically).
Or, the opposite, a lot of discussion to close a relatively low-active
project in a major language. In this case, Dutch Wikinews.