[Foundation-l] Lack of research on Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 07:26:18 UTC 2009

Hoi,
I do not know what you are talking about.. Several of our projects do not
have any activity at all. others  are praised because there is activity as
in less then 100 new articles in the last year. So when you talk about "much
progress on quality" you forgot what this thread was about. So my argument
would be that the Usability Initiative contributions are extremely welcome.
As they are based on actual usability studies, they are clued in into what
prevents people to contribute to our projects.

You do appreciate that in a project with hardly any activity what a new
editor does, someone equivalent to a top writer on a de en nl ja fr or sr
Wikipedia (just a sample) .. The activity on the Swahili Wikipedia is
because of a handful of people.  They are the community and they can be
named.  So when we want to know what is needed to "get greater focus on user
needs" we can ask them personally.

For the projects with less then 10 active editors, the question what about
the public is moot. They are working their arses off to get to the
inflection point where things get a momentum of their own. And we have a
clue what helps bring this point down, but we do not have numbers.  I name
you two.

   - Localisation is easy to understand. When you know what you are expected
   to do, you understand that you have the choice to do it
   - Most relevant articles. This one is controversial. Is our emphasis on
   encyclopaedic information we think is important or is it encyclopaedic
   information people want to read.

For the second there are two approaches. We create a 100/1000 list of must
have articles. While there is merit in many of the subjects selected, do you
really think American Football is relevant in Upper Volta (I do not know).
The other is write what people want. We do not know what people want. If we
did we had a list of most looked for articles that could not be found for
each project. Now THAT would be user driven and THAT would motivate people
to write not only the article but possibly also the wiki network around such
articles.

All in all, we need more research, we need more research about the smaller
projects, we need to learn how to make them awesome (I refer to SJ's blog
about this). It does not have to be academic research to serve my purposes.
When our experience tells us that Localisation is important and when the
delivery of localisations is broken, we need a LocalisationUpdate. When we
want to know what the public for a Wikipedia is looking for, we register
what they cannot find.

In  essence it is easy, but in order to convince people to do what seems
right, we need those academic studies as well. We need them because we can
be wrong.. We need them because they can be the driver to get us the
statistics we need (the not found statistics for instance).
Thanks.
     GerardM