[Foundation-l] [Wikisource-l] Open Library, Wikisource, and cleaning and translating OCR of Classics

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Fri Aug 21 11:33:05 UTC 2009

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Yann Forget wrote:
>
>> As I already said, the first steps would be to import existing
>> databases, and Wikimedians are very good at this job.
>
> Do you have a bibliographic database (library catalog) of French
> literature that you can upload?  How many records?  Convincing
> libraries to donate copies of their catalogs has been a bottleneck
> for OpenLibrary.

No, I don't have such a database. There is a copyright on databases in
Europe, which makes things complicated.

Probably we need to start with libraries which are already collaborating
with open content projects. There was a GLAM-wiki meeting in Australia
recently: there might be a possibility with an Australian library?

But even before that, if we could extract the data from Wikimedia
projects, we could create a basic working frame. I have been collecting
such data on Wikisource and Wikibooks, but the lack of a structured
system is a bottleneck.

Examples:
1. Comprehensive bibliography of Gandhi in French
http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bibliographie_de_Gandhi

2. French translations of Russian authors:
http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Discussion_Auteur:L%C3%A9on_Tolsto%C3%AF
http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Discussion_Auteur:F%C3%A9dor_Mikha%C3%AFlovitch_Dosto%C3%AFevski

Regards,

Yann