[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Aug 21 01:22:05 UTC 2009

Kaare Olsen wrote:

> What I think is the primary reason for the Danish Wikipedia
> being much smaller than the "neighbouring" languages is that
> Danes generally are internationally minded and pride themselves
> on being good at English - people may simply prefer to use/edit
> Wikipedia in that language (even I did that when first attracted
> to Wikipedia).

I find it hard to believe that this would be a major difference
between Denmark and Sweden. But it would be really interesting if
we could somehow trace the use of the English Wikipedia to users
of various mother tongues (for Northern Europe, country or IP
address range might be a good enough approximation for mother
tongue).  Perhaps Swedish users stay on the Swedish Wikipedia to
read about sports, but go to the English to read about music.

For each IP address range, we could (well, Domas could) analyze
which language of Wikipedia those users primarily go to.  If users
from 130.236.xxx.yyy mostly visit the English and Swedish
Wikipedia, we can assume that it constitutes a Swedish-speaking
community.  If no conclusive pattern is shown on the /16 (class B)
range, each /24 (class C) net can be analyzed individually.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)