[Foundation-l] How much of Wikipedia is vandalized? 0.4% of Articles

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:56:49 UTC 2009

Riddle me this...

Is the edit below vandalism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Arch_Coal&diff=255482597&oldid=255480884

Did the edit take a page and make it worse?  Or, did it make the page a
"better available revision" than the version immediately prior to it?

Methinks the Wikipedia community has a long way to go in learning to
differentiate between a "better" encyclopedia and a "worse" encyclopedia
before we take the step to try to define vandalism.  Then, after we've done
all that, there might be some remaining value in trying to quantify
vandalism, as we've defined it.

Until then, for God's sake, Sue Gardner, do not gleefully run off
publicizing that only 0.4% of Wikipedia's articles are vandalized.

Greg