[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Thu Aug 20 10:52:38 UTC 2009

Andre Engels wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Lars Aronsson<lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
>
>> Of these 270 languages of Wikipedia, only 41 have more than 50,000
>> articles and only 69 had more than 1 million page views in July of
>> 2009.  The 69th most used Wikipedia is Swahili. This East African
>> language has 50 million speakers, which is huge, but less than
>> 13,000 Wikipedia articles.  Can poverty and illiteracy alone
>> explain why the Swahili Wikipedia is so far behind?
>
> Poverty, or better said, lack of internet access, is probably the main
> factor. Here in Europe and North America, we are used to having fast
> internet from the home 24/7. In those countries it may well be (I am
> not sure, never having been there) that dial-up speeds paid per minute
> at some internet cafe is the norm. That would considerably lessen
> people's interest in writing the material, and if it is not written,
> people will not read it either.
>
> But another issue could be a lack of expectancy of having material in
> the own language. I have heard this plays a role with the languages
> from India, and it may well have the same, or even stronger so, with
> the African ones: the daily language for speaking is the local
> language, but when one is writing or looking for something on the
> internet, one is more likely to use English (or in other parts of
> Africa, French). It may well be that many Swahili speakers use English
> when they are on the internet - either because that is the language
> they learned reading and writing in (although people for which that is
> true are probably not the generation using internet the most), or
> because they found that they can get so much more information (on the
> internet as a whole) in English than in Swahili, that it well
> outweighs the linguistic disadvantage. They come to the English
> Wikipedia, not the Swahili one, and when they find that here too there
> is much more in English, that's where they stick.

This explains the situation very well.
In the case of languages not using the Latin alphabet, there is one more
obstacle: you need a localized computer, i.e. for reading, at least the
proper fonts are needed, and for writing an adapted keyboard is also
needed. For what I have seen, this is rarely the case in India. Every
computer is sold with an English keyboard only, and the fonts must be
installed by the user himself.

> In the case of Swahili there is yet another factor, namely that
> Swahili itself is rarely a mother tongue and much more often a second
> language. Because of that, the relative size of the disadvantage of
> using English is even smaller.

Right. This is also the case for Hindi, the second or third language for
more than 200 M speakers (native Assamese, Bengali, Bihari, Gujarati,
Kashmiri, Marathi, Oriya or Punjabi speakers and more).

Yann

--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence
http://www.forget-me.net/ | Alternatives sur le Net