[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Thu Aug 20 08:47:31 UTC 2009

Lars Aronsson hett schreven:
> I think we need to get away from counting articles and languages,
> as if all were equal and more were better.
Whether languages are all equal, depends on the point of view. From a
global point of view, Chinese is not equal to !Xóõ. Chinese has more
than a billion speakers and !Xóõ only about 4000. From a global point of
view Chinese is more important. But from an individual's point of view
the languages _are_ equal. If !Xóõ is your native and only language !Xóõ
means as much to you as Chinese to a Chinese native speaker. To a !Xóõ
native all of Wikimedia is meaningless if we don't provide any !Xóõ
content. If we start providing !Xóõ content we will most likely soon be
the most useful !Xóõ resource existing.

So if you want to "get away from counting articles and languages, as if
all were equal and more were better", then don't count them. If we have
a !Xóõ Wikipedia with an article count of exactly '1' and this one
article is about Michael Jackson, then it is perfectly useful to a !Xóõ
speaker searching for info on Michael Jackson. And on the other side, if
you have an 841,000 article encyclopedia, it's still useless for a
person searching for info about !Xóõ, if there is no article about !Xóõ.

What I want to say: please everybody get away from calling projects
"failure", "worse", "weak" or whatever. It's all subjective. And it's
entirely meaningless, whether Michael Jackson attracts 12 or 20 page
views per 1000 speakers. If 988 people had no interest in looking up
Michael Jackson, then that's okay. We still served the 12 who had.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox