[Foundation-l] Lack of research on Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 09:19:07 UTC 2009

Hoi,
I am very much a proponent of those who consider Wikipedia one project with
many iterations in a language project and community. For me it means that
there are several basic requirements for all Wikipedias. The content being
freely licensed and of a neutral point of view are core values I also
consider it essential that Wikipedia is open to new people who want to
contribute to what we already do, as such I would welcome new projects that
fit in the aims of the Wikimedia Foundation.

As to people like Siebrand, he performs several crucial functions for
MediaWiki and Wikipedia and I consider him one of the most important people
in and for the Wikimedia Foundation. He plays a central role in
translatewiki.net, with Raymond_ he commits the localisations to SVN after
doing some quality assurance to the localisations. As a consequence of his
internationalisation and QA work he is the one of the most prolific
contributors to MediaWiki. He also runs Siebot for ages and he does not only
but also work on the interwikilinks that bring our projects together.

In answer to your question, the activities that Siebrand is involved in are
best done in a collaborative way. Actually given the nature of Wikipedia it
is the only way.
Thanks,
       Gerard