[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia

Renata St renatawiki at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 03:00:29 UTC 2009

The main issue is *deception*. There is no disclaimer anywhere (except
inside the book) that this is a copy from Wikipedia or somewhere else.
People are tricked into believing that this is original content by the three
listed editors. It almost got tricked myself... and it came out that I wrote
13 articles out of 48 included in that book. I figured something is fishy
only because I recognized the titles. I would espect average Joe, not
intimately familiar with Wikipedia, to fall for that. Especially when you
see another happy customer rating it five stars for "great collection of
information"...

I am not objecting to publishing Wikipedia. If someone wants to put an
honest effort into producing Wikipedia CDs/DVDs/books -- more power to them.
But please label in big clear letters "copied from Wikipedia" on the cover
for everyone to see. I know German Wikipedia was published on a DVD -- I
have zero objections to that. I also know that the "book extension" to
mediawiki was added exactly for this purpose. But in this particular case I
think it's rather abusive.

Renata