[Foundation-l] GLAM-WIKI report

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 12 20:58:18 UTC 2009

On 8/12/09 6:18 AM, Chad wrote:
> Just thinking aloud here, but as to methods for accessing the content:
>
> A) Extends FileRepo to work with their data, however they happen to give
> us access to it
> B) Provide something similar to Special:Import, that will go retrieve their
> data and import it to a format MediaWiki can handle
>
> Both are certainly feasible with the current code base; it's not going to
> require some massive re-write of anything.

We've already got the latter in the pipeline with Michael Dale's work on
the add media wizard:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Add_Media_Wizard

This includes the ability to search remote media repositories and import
particular resources from them into the wiki. In testing this is
implemented for for instance pulling videos from the Internet Archive's
video collections (kindly pre-transcoded into Ogg Theora -- thanks IA
guys and gals!)

As this matures some more and the backend support gets merged into our
live deployment, this'll be rolled into the advanced editing tools the
Usability crew is working on.

-- brion