[Foundation-l] Election Results

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed Aug 12 20:35:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

Congratulations Ting, Kat and Samuel. Thanks for everything so far and
more to come, domas :)

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 20:07, Steven Walling<steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I personally am very pleased with the results, I wonder how the
> election results will be perceived outside Wikimedia.
> With numerous media outlets reacting to PARC's research about the state of
> the community, I fear this endorsement of seemingly "old guard" Wikimedians
> as our Board representation will support claims about the community becoming
> unfriendly to new participants.
> Thoughts? Am I being too nervous, or do others see that potential too?

Since the board of the Wikimedia Foundation is our ultimate authority
(where necessary), surely it should be made up of old hands and
experienced veterans who, by being around and demonstrating their
sanity repeatedly, are most likely to be successful in the role? We
should encourage new contributors in more accessible jobs, where they
can make an equally valuable contribution, while putting those who (we
would like to think) have proved themselves to be committed and
knowledgeable in the ultimate positions of responsibility and power.

Sean Whitton / <sean at silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x25F4EAB7