[Foundation-l] GLAM-WIKI report

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:32:12 UTC 2009

Thanks for your report Tim.

A minor correction,

2009/8/12 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Liam has a point when he suggests that we typically do not need the highest
> resolutions to illustrate our Wikipedias <http://wikipedia.org/>. But I
> really like the idea of Brianna where we hotlink and cache pictures from the
> GLAMs themselves. I can appreciate why Tim did not get into that... It is a
> lot of work, complicated work as well. Questions like what to do when the
> GLAM is off line are only part of it.

This was not my idea! It was suggested by GLAM people (a couple of
times) and like a good facilitator I made sure it was recorded. The
aim was to brainstorm, not debate the merits of every suggestion at
the time it was suggested.

The suggestion was also made that Wikimedia should revisit its
restriction on NC material, and it was written down too, although I
think I was thinking the same thing as every other Wikimedian in the
room...

Re GLAM repositories as a MediaWiki repo, I don't know enough on the
tech side to know if it is even a remotely feasible idea. But on the
'social' side it did make me think about our insistence (currently
technically necessary) that everything is in MediaWiki format,
essentially under the Wikimedia branding somewhere, before we will
effectively work with it. We want the GLAMs to let up some control,
but essentially so material can come under our control. A different
kind of control, certainly, but definitely control. Let's not kid
ourselves - not a neutral ground. Maybe it is not a bad idea for us to
think about how we can embrace collaboration or resource sharing that
might wear someone else's badging.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/