[Foundation-l] Knol, a year later

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:02:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Mike Godwin<mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can give you some models in which Knol, properly structured, could have
> replaced us altogether.  In some sense that might be a victory for free
> culture, but I see no particular reason to root for our being replaced just
> yet.

An interesting concept.  It's hard to replace an open collaborative
process, but I think this is a subject worthy of a planning workshop
at Wikimania.  The advantage of being open and minimal-overhead is
that we can discuss great improvements publicly, and implement them.

> The key would be whether the ten other websites fulfill WMF's mission,
> right?  What if they fulfill 50 percent of WMF's mission but one of the
> results of their success is that the Wikimedia community fades away?

The current active community is largely here for reasons of belief in
our core mission.   There are so many important and interesting
projects that we don't have time as a community to address -- if some
new group comes along and starts addressing one of them under a
compatible license, I don't see our current contributors somehow being
too inflexible to redirect their efforts.  (and it seems likely that
over time we would learn from the new creators, find out what feedback
and engagement they liked from the new system that WP (for instance)
didn't provide, and help them improve and expand our current
community)