[Foundation-l] Board election spamming

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 21:15:49 UTC 2009

Thomas,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just received an email telling me I am eligible to vote in the
> board elections when I have already voted. Please don't send
> untargetted mass emails - they are spam.

You think nothing of routinely filling up all of the list subscribers'
inboxes with your opinions, as the top poster on Foundation-l.* But
you are complaining here about one email, sent specifically to active
and thus presumably interested members of Wikimedia projects reminding
them about a single, important election? I find complaints about this
being "spam" -- as if you can't handle one extra email about
Wikimedia, when you clearly manage to get through hundreds of much
less important missives on the mailing lists on a regular basis --
pretty mindblowingly hypocritical.

On a general note, I for one greatly appreciate the Election
Committee's efforts to get wide community participation in the Board
elections**, even if the mailing could have gone more smoothly.

On an even more general note, the constructive part of this
conversation -- i.e. planning for the next election, and pointing out
things to do next time -- is great. Where's the best place for posting
"next-time" suggestions from this thread? Elections talk?***

-- phoebe

* http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-February/050149.html
** Despite the election's importance, turnout is so far pretty
pathetic, esp. from smaller wikis.
*** http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Board_elections

<at> gmail.com *