[Foundation-l] Upcoming tech hiring: CTO position split

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 23:38:30 UTC 2009

2009/8/7 Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org>:
> On 8/7/09 2:35 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> By containing the magic words "senior" and "architect" the proposed
>> "Senior Software Architect" is, in my experience, not inconsistent
>> with industry naming practice for the most important tech guru who
>> isn't primarily a manager.
>>
>> It's not a bad title in any case.
>>
>> (I was previously a manager and made a decision to hire a boss because
>> I realized I'd rather be doing technical work than performance
>> reviews.  These days I'm just a lowly 'Senior … Engineer', and I'm
>> quite happy with that, thank you very much)
>
> Exactly.
>
> Now, if we really think of a _totally badass title_ before we get the
> business cards printed up I'm open to changing it, but honestly I like
> it and it fits the role I see for myself just fine. :)
>
> Remember... titles are only useful when they're actually descriptive;
> otherwise they're just fluff. Certainly when I'm doing hiring I'm far
> more interested in asking what somebody did at their previous job than
> in what it was called...
>
> -- brion

Problem is that the ideal title depends on the target somewhat.

Within some sections of the the open source community something like
something like "lead hacker" would probably have quite an . On the
other hand when dealing with almost anyone else something more
conventional would be better.

--
geni