[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Policy Interlingual Coordinationn - WP:NOT

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Aug 8 06:31:10 UTC 2009

Birgitte SB wrote:
> I don't know that it is useful to make a general policy for exceptions.  I think it is better just to watch out for such problems to pop up and try to direct attention to them when they are noticed.
>
> I think it is a better use of time and energy to wait and react to the sorts of extreme situation you suggest, rather than to seek to proactively verify that no wikis are in danger of developing such situations.  Not that I would stop anyone form volunteering to take such task on.  It is just that it is very tricky.  It probably would be more effective to wait till the locals complain and ask for help than to try and step in and accuse admins, who likely have put the most time and edits into the wiki, of mismanagement.  Oftentimes locals that even have disagreements with the admins will be inclined to oppose your interference on the principal of solidarity, the devil you know, etc.  It is very touchy situation that leans towards misunderstandings even when everyone speaks the same language.

As much as I have always supported project autonomy, I know from
experience on Wikisource that certain malevolent individuals like
Pathoschild will leave no facts undistorted to achieve their ends.  I
found what happened there deeply offensive.

I did ask for help here. You asked then that I move the discussion back
to the project, and out of respect for you I did.  That accomplished
nothing. I suggested mediation, and you effectively refused.
Bureaucrats should have enough experience, stature and impartiality to
be able to step into these situations and bring people to a common
understanding instead of burying their heads in the sand and pretending
that there is no problem.  A community like the one at Wikisource is
obviously too small to have a formal arbitration process, so we should
be able to expect better leadership from the bureaucrats.  So perhaps it
is time for some kind of system outside the project that can look at
these personality problems more objectively.

Ec