[Foundation-l] Voluntary self-regulation of multimedia service providers

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 07:30:37 UTC 2009

private musings wrote:
> Well yeah Milos - but we probably won't - will we! - Seems a bit silly.
>
> I was hoping we could have a thread about the principle of discussing /
> evaluating some of the various voluntary codes of conduct out there -
> perhaps someone is aware of a US standard (is that what you're getting at,
> Geni - that the location of the servers is probably the most important
> factor?)

I think the key factor is that *anyone* - really anyone - can
voluntarily put up a mirror (or fork) that complies with whatever
arbitrary code of conduct in terms of what they display.

The fact that such mirrors (and/or forks) will not have anything
to do with our site but the fact that they may use all or some
of our content, should not dissuade you from either financing
such mirrors (A/OF) yourself, or encouraging others to finance
such, nor should it cloud the fact that it would be quite untenable
to attempt to try to make wikimedia go that route.

I think it is clear this has been said to you likely so many times that
you would probably already have to money for your own server, if you
got a dime for every time people told you were tilting at windmills.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen