[Foundation-l] Voluntary self-regulation of multimedia service providers

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 07:21:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Milos Rancic<millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 8:41 AM, private musings<thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well yeah Milos - but we probably won't - will we! - Seems a bit silly.
>>
>> I was hoping we could have a thread about the principle of discussing /
>> evaluating some of the various voluntary codes of conduct out there -
>> perhaps someone is aware of a US standard (is that what you're getting at,
>> Geni - that the location of the servers is probably the most important
>> factor?)
>
> I don't see any reason why should we follow any law which we don't
> have to follow.

We don't have to follow the internet norm that making your web page
text BLINKING YELLOW ON BLUE is something you don't do… and yet we do.

Don't think of this has "obeying laws", think of it that there are
some things we don't have to do, which aren't in conflict with our
mission, and which would be in our interests.

Although the starting premise that we don't comply with a (multitude
of) code(s) of conduct is a bit flawed. The projects clearly do—
though they may not be ones written down by third parties and they may
be inadequate...