[Foundation-l] Voluntary self-regulation of multimedia service providers

Benjamin Lees emufarmers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 04:30:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering what folk think about the WMF heading towards compliance
> with
> things like this;
>
> http://www.gsmeurope.org/documents/eu_codes/fsm_code_en.pdf
>
> This is a german code of conduct - but there are many more (I've also
> spoken
> with these chaps =- http://www.iia.net.au/ - and I got the feeling that
> they'd very much like to engage with both communities, and the foundation
> as
> the 'service provider')
>
> My interest stems from discussing sexual content on wikimedia foundation
> projects, but obviously engagement with such external bodies / codes of
> practice etc. is far from limited to that sphere,
>
> best,
>
> Peter,
> PM.

The sexual content issue aside, that code prohibits, among other things:
Propaganda and other material issued by anti-constitutional organisations,
as defined in § 86 of the German Criminal Code, § 86 a of the same code, and
§ 4, sect.1, subsections 1 and 2 of the Interstate Treaty on the Protection
of Minors in the Media
Portrayals of violence, as defined in § 131 of the German Criminal Code, and
§ 4, sect. 1, subsection 5 of the Interstate Treaty on the Protection of
Minors in the Media
Affronts to human dignity, as defined in § 4, section. 1, subsection 8 of
the Interstate Treaty on the Protection of Minors in the Media
This doesn't seem consistent with our goals and principles.